Our breeding objective is to continue to:
- Maximise wool cut
- Maintain a downward trend in micron
- Plain bodied
- Free of fleece fault
- White bright wool with good crimp definition
- High resistance to worm parasites
With an annual rainfall of 722 mm, high stocking rates and shearing weaners in April allowing full exposure to a challenging environment we are convinced we are on the right pathway to obtain our goals.
Turkey Lane is always improving productivity of their seedstock and with our genetics we are positive you can too.
Selection process (visual classing, ASBVs)
We endeavour to achieve the highest ASBV accuracies by keeping full pedigree records, using well linked sires, DNA testing, eye muscle & fat measurements, full wool testing, and fleece weights. Visual classing is critical throughout the selection process to achieve our breeding objects. All data is sent to MerinoSelect to be analysed and results are in the public domain (search Turkey Lane or flock ID 509069).
Turkey Lane flock is brucellosis accredited, MN1 certification (no known detections in abattoir inspections and gudair vaccinations since 2001). No chemical has been applied for lice treatment since 1977. At Turkey Lane we take particular care to maintain the highest bio security standards and we run a closed flock only introducing semen.
Ram breeding Program
- AI and single sire mating occurs in February
- Link sire is always used to generate high accuracy ASBV’s.
- Lambing July/August keeping full pedigree since 1999
- Weaners have a pin bone sample taken prior to shearing in April and at that time wool weights recorded
- Hogget rams have individual WEC’s taken as soon as worm burden becomes high enough during winter
- DNA is taken from a portion of the weaner rams to assist with ASBV accuracies
- All hogget rams have a second pin bone sample taken after 5 months of wool growth to collect data for ram sales
- All hogget rams undergo a stringent visual classing assessment
- Ram sale held annually in November
- Hogget rams that are retained on property after sale have fleece weight recorded at shearing in December
- Hogget ewes have their second pin bone sample taken, visually classed and shorn in December ready for selection process for breeding team